Предлагаем вашему вниманию упражнение по мотивам ошибок, допущенных участниками районных олимпиад по английскому языку.
Упражнение по материалам для подготовки к олимпиадам
1. Could you do me a favour and look after my cat while I am away?
Will you [take care of my cat] while I am away?
2.He decided to stop gambling in casinos.
He took [a decision to give up] in casinos.
3. Bringing in this law may cause a lot of problems.
If they bring in this law, it will [ cause a great deal of] trouble.
4. He had a lifelong [commitment] to jazz music. COMMIT
5. I think you should just give in [gracefully]. Admitting your defeat is not the end of the world. GRACE
6.I am writing regarding your ad in the local newspaper.
I am writing [in reference to your ad] in the local newspaper.
7.He lacks some traits of character to make a decent teacher.
He is [not cut out to be] a fairly good teacher.
8. He [ did ] me a good turn. But for her help I wouldn’t have got through my final exam.
9. Worst of all [ was ] when her head buzzed with crazy ideas about how to get them working to the best of their abilities.
10.Rabbits are kept [A] exclusively for meat and fur production.
A almost B nearly C quite D virtual
11.It was not [A] the 1970’s that his acting career came to an end.
A until B before C during D once
12. She interpreted this role as less [tragic] than I had expected. TRAGEDY
13. He spent his childhood on a(n) [B] farm with his grandfather.
A alone B remote C sole D solitary
14. Her mother was a [B] cheerful woman due to her love of good food.
A frail B plump C weight D slim