Предлагаю вашему вниманию список тем с вопросами, которые предлагались для обсуждения на областных олимпиадах по английскому языку в цикле 2013-2014 годов.
Список устных тем на олимпиадах по английскому языку.
Устные ситуации на олимпиадах по английскому языку для 10 класса
1. What traits of character help realize a person’s talent in your opinion?
1. What should you do to achieve your ambitions?
2. What is more important for success: to have natural abilities or to work hard?
3. Can you learn a foreign language in a day?
4. What do you do to achieve the aim of your life?
2. A man’s home is a reflection of his personality. Is it true for your house?
1. What do you do when you are tidying up your room?
2. Do you help your mother with housework every day?
3. Can you make a meal?
4. Have you ever decorated your room/house yourself?
3. Imagine that you are showing your family album to an English-speaking friend.
1. Do you have secrets from your parents?
2. Do children take after their parents?
3. What is the role of the family in the life of a person?
4. What should be done to avoid misunderstanding in the family?
4. Studying the English language in an English-speaking country is the best but not the only way to learn English.
1. How do you prepare for your tests at school?
2. Do you agree it is only possible to master a foreign language by learning lots of things by heart? 3. Is it always necessary to understand what you learn?
4. Do you have a good memory for figures and dates?
5. Compare the success of various methods of learning a foreign language. Give advice to students intending to learn another language.
1. Can you think of an example when practice and hard work helped a person achieve his ambitions?
2. Can we do without revision?
3. What kind of people achieve better results in learning: those who have natural abilities or those who work harder?
4. What part of the language requires a great deal of practice?
6. Computers are more fun than books.
1. Have you got many books at home?
2. What helps you to choose a book for reading?
3. Who is your favourite Belarusian/Russian/English/American writer?
4. What characters from his/her books do you remember?
7. Opportunity seldom knocks twice.
1. Is it easy for you to make a decision?
2. Do you often go to your friends or parents for advice?
3. Would you refuse going to university if you were offered a well-paid job?
4. Is it always high time to enjoy oneself?
8. Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
1. Is reading books important in modern life or can it be substituted by TV, computers?
2. What kind of books do you prefer?
3. What kind of book would you take on a long journey?
4. Do you have the same tastes in books as your friends?
9. Blood is thicker than water. Relatives are more important than friends.
1. Which do you think is better: to be an only child or to have brothers and sisters?
2. Do you spend much time together with your family?
3. Do your parents always understand you?
4. What does it mean «to love one’s child»?
10. It is easier to work or study when the weather is cold.
1. How important is it to plan your day?
2. Do you have enough time for work and rest?
3. What are your household chores (duties)?
4. Do you make plans for your week-ends in advance?
11. Celebrities have a great life.
1. Have you ever talked to a well-known person?
2. Who do you think can be called an outstanding person?
3. What famous public figures of Belarus do you know?
4. Would you like to be popular and famous?
12. Imagine that you have an opportunity to make up a television program about art. What is it going to be about?
1. What kind of performances/films do you prefer: tragedies, comedies or detective stories?
2. What creations of people can be called masterpieces?
3. What world famous museums or picture galleries do you know?
4. What artists, actors or playwrights can our country be proud of?
13. What is the ideal place for you to live in? Why?
1. What is your hometown famous for?
2. What can you say about the geographical position of your hometown?
3. What do you like in your country that you won’t find anywhere?
4. Are you a home-lover? Do you spend most of your free time at home?
14. It is fun to try unusual food.
1. How important are good eating habits for a person?
2. Is your diet healthier than your friends’?
3. Do you think morning exercises enable you to do better?
4. Can you make a meal?
15. What modern inventions do you appreciate most of all? Why?
1. What is the role of science in modern society?
2. What do you think about computer games?
3. What does new technology enable people to do without leaving their homes?
4. What appliances help you do your household chores?
16. Sports and healthy dieting have become popular with many young people recently.
1. What sport facilities do you have in your school?
2. Do you think morning exercises enable you to do better?
3. How important are good eating habits for a person?
4. Do you believe in the effect of diets for keeping fit?
17. Different works of art have been created to please the eye and to ‘excite our emotions. Which form of art is your favourite?
I. Is there a theatre where you live?
2. Are you fond of painting?
3. What kind of music do you prefer? Why?
4. Who is your favourite actor (singer, artist, composer)?
18. The government should spend more on public transport and discourage private car ownership to reduce air pollution in major cities. Do you agree or disagree?
1. Who must take care of nature?
2. What causes air pollution in cities?
3. What is the ecological situation where you live like?
4. What do you do to protect nature?
19. Mobile phones have changed our lifestyle forever, but not all the changes are for the best. Discuss the pros and cons of owning a mobile phone.
1. What modern inventions do you appreciate most of all?
2. What does new technology enable people to do without leaving their homes?
3. What appliances help you do your household chores?
4. Is reading books important in modern life or can it be substituted by TV, computers?
20. People should change their looks at least once a year.
1. Do you agree that people who look different are strange?
2. Is it a good idea to look like your friends?
3. Do you try to follow the latest fashion? Why/Why not?
4. Do people nowadays make clothes themselves? Why/Why not?
21. To what extent is nuclear technology a danger to life on Earth? What are the benefits and risks associated with its use?
1. Why are so many people concerned about ecology today?
2. What vital ecological problems do you know?
3. Do you think that animals need people’s protection?
4. What is the ecological situation where you live like?
22. To what extent does television have a negative effect on society? Discuss the effect of widespread television viewing.
1. Can violence be approved of?
2. Is it wise to avoid arguing?
3. When should people be tolerant?
4. Do you think there is a connection between violence on TV and the crime rate in real life?
23. What do you usually do if you feel happy and joyous?
1. Do you believe in bad luck?
2. What are the three wishes you’d like to come true?
3. Can you remember any amusing things that have happened to you?
4. What is «happiness» in your view?
24. Imagine a day in your life ten years from now. What do you hope it will be like?
1. What can you recommend a person who is always busy?
2. Is there in your working day that annoys you?
3. Do you always plan your day beforehand?
4. How do the Belarusians usually spend their spare time?
25. Speak about hobbies which are typical of the people of your age.
1. What are your relatives’ hobbies?
2. Have you ever come across a very strange hobby?
3. Is it necessary to learn how to make things with your own hands?
4. What hobby would you like to have in addition to your present one?
Другие списки тем для обсуждения на олимпиадах по английскому языку вы найдете тут.